MURFREESBORO–On Sunday, Sept. 20, Jerusalem Cumberland Presbyterian Church on Mona Road will mark its 175th anniversary. A full day of celebration is planned starting at 10 a.m. with a morning worship service, the Daily News Journal reports.
On the program will be messages from former pastors Lyon Walkup, as well as Boyce Wallace, who will be sending greetings after lunch from Cali, Colombia, where he has been a missionary for 50 years. Other offerings include a mid-day meal in the Memorial Center Fellowship Hall and an afternoon of reminiscing, plus special music by the Bethel University Renaissance Bluegrass Band.
Since 1840, the sturdy white structure on Mona Road, just north of Jefferson Pike, has been “a haven of hope and a place where God has been at work,” said 85-year-old Anne Odom. The spry former elementary teacher and librarian is the fourth generation of her family to be a member of the congregation and also is the author of “Jerusalem Cumberland Presbyterian Church, a Documentary and Pictorial History.”
There were three buildings erected on the land where the current church stands. It was built with rough-hewn lumber in the early 1900s on rock foundation pilings atop cedar tree stumps that can still be seen in the narrow crawl space beneath.
Initially, the first church was also used as a school. In the wake of the Civil War, a second two-story structure was built in 1867. It housed the Shady Grove Masonic Lodge, which eventually changed its name to Jerusalem to reflect its meeting location.
Source: Church celebrates 175 years