Members of the historic Charleston Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Tennessee have formed a committee to oversee an extensive, months-long restoration project for the church and cemetery, the Cleveland Daily Banner reports.
The old church was constructed in 1860 and served as the community’s main worship center during and surrounding the Civil War. During the war, both Union and Confederate troops occupied Charleston at various times as both sides were attempting to gain control of the nearby East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad. The church served as a hospital during the conflict.
Located on Railroad Street, the church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, and is in one of the community’s more prominent locations. It continued as a place of worship until a more modern facility was built on North Lee Highway in 1982.